Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Flooding and Beautiful Fall Weather

I just listened to Gov. McCrory's press conference for today.  He has been very good about reporting what's happening in NC since Hurricane Matthew.  The Neuse and Tar rivers and maybe more, are still not at their highest level.  They will continue to rise until Saturday, a week after the hurricane.  The flooding of the rivers is because of the immense rain fall that happened across the state.

There are 3800 people in shelters either because they already lost their home, or they had to evacuate and are still waiting to hear if their home will be spared.  Very sad.  Again, so grateful that we are fine here.


On another note, shelling at the beaches is great after a storm or in this case a hurricane.  Elaina and I went to Fort Macon State Park  and picked up a few shells. 


Well, not just a few.  I have more than I know what to do with right now.  The beach was just covered in shells, small, medium and large.  Also many, many horseshoe crabs washed up on the beach.


Horseshoe crab
 When I say there's lots of shells, I can't even begin to explain just how many.  I can't walk barefoot (I have tender feet!) on the beach down by the water.  It's too "crunchy."   When the waves come up and cover a huge pocket of shells, they makes a crackling sound unlike anything I've heard before. 
Anyway, we had a good time picking up shells.  So sorry for the people of Eastern North Carolina who are still experiencing the effects of Hurricane Matthew.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Send some to me!! Glad you are okay. I don't think we can truly understand the devastation and loss until we've experienced it ourselves.