Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Mothers Day Saturday

Elaina asked me what I wanted for Mothers Day and I said I wanted to go to Riverside Barn Antique store in the town of Wallace, NC.  So we did.

But first we went to a fundraiser for Justice Disney at a Swansboro bakery called "Frosted."  Justice is the two year old son of Amanda and Derrick Disney, who is one of Elaina's squadron Marines. Justice has leukemia and has been through a lot of chemo and ups and downs for the past year.  He and his parents are now going through bone marrow transplant proceedings at Duke Medical Center.  This puts a big strain on the Disney's finances. Frosted held a raffle event and contributed their proceeds from the day's sales to the Disney family.  It was a huge success and Elaina and I each won one of the prizes offered in the raffle!  Look up "Team Justice: Keeping Him Disney Strong" on Facebook.
Derrick, Amanda, Justice and Annabelle Disney
Riverside Barn antique store is out in the "boonies" as we say. We drove through miles and miles of nothing but trees and farmland. It was a beautiful drive.  The store is huge and really packed with antiques of all kinds.
They were hit badly by Hurricane Matthew last year,
but have recovered.



See the trees?  This was our view the whole ride out there.
We were expecting a thunderstorm that never materialized.  That's why it looks dark!

The town of Wallace was 5 miles from the antique store and about an hour away from Jacksonville. They just happened to be having their strawberry festival that weekend, so we got to enjoy a little small town culture once again.



It was much like the street fair we used to go to in Orange.  We ate "barbecue" for lunch (shredded pork and coleslaw on a roll) and we shared deep fried strawberries, with powdered sugar and chocolate syrup drizzled over top!  It was good, but not my favorite way to eat strawberries.

Since Burgaw is only 15 miles from Wallace, we went there too and went in my favorite Burgaw antique store, Fremont Antiques.  

At Riverside Barn I bought a few items to list on Etsy and at Fremont Antiques Elaina bought me a couple of cute items to add to my own collection of vintage things. 


Maxwell House Coffee Jar
Cast Metal Little Girl
I think this day was the most fun I've ever had on Mothers Day! As Elaina says,"true story."  Thank you Sweetheart for a great day!










3 comments:

Sue said...

So glad you enjoyed Mother's Day. I was jealous of the antique stores.

Elaina M. Avalos said...

Glad you had a nice day, Mom! :) But that was nothing like the Street Fair. Hahahahaha. I had fun.

Glenn said...

What a great day! Being a boy, I guess my favorite part might have been the lunch.