Wednesday, September 5, 2018

NC and its Festivals





September is here and I am so ready for Fall!  We have had a very hot, humid summer with lots and lots of rain.  I know it will be a while before we actually feel FALL weather, but at least we know it's coming!

(I may have written about these things before, but I don't care!  It came up tonight...)

I couldn't find anything good to watch on TV tonight, so I settled on The Andy Griffith show.  The show was based on Andy's hometown of Mount Airy, NC.  This is from Mount Airy's website:

"MOUNTAINS. MUSIC. MAYBERRY. MERLOT. Mayberry RFD icon Andy Griffith grew up in Mount Airy, North Carolina, and it's no coincidence that a stroll down Mount Airy's Main Street reminds people of the town of Mayberry from The Andy Griffith Show. In addition to Mayberry RFD and Andy Griffith, visitors find that Mount Airy, North Carolina is a great jumping off point for exploring the Yadkin Valley wine region, the breathtaking Blue Ridge Parkway, the stunning pinnacle of Pilot Mountain, or the twangy sound of bluegrass and old-time music. Whatever your passion, we invite you to step back to a simpler time when you visit Andy Griffith's hometown of Mount Airy, North Carolina—affectionately known as Mayberry RFD."

The city has "Mayberry Days" when the whole town celebrates their Mayberry history, with parades, etc.  

                                   http://surryarts.org/mayberrydays/index.html




Image result for collard greens
Collards
While watching the show tonight, there was an ad for another of North Carolina's festivals.  This one is in the town of Ayden.  Are you ready for it?  It's the Collard Festival!  There's even a mascot named Colleen Collard.  
It has started this week and continues through Sunday.   A whole week of celebrating collards and collard greens!    We won't be going to this.  It's about an hour and a half northwest of us.           
Colleen Collard

It makes me smile (and giggle), and I'm not making fun of it;  I love it.  There's so much agriculture here and people are proud of it and really enjoy celebrating it.  Any excuse for a parade and get-together with your neighbors for a party!

Elaina and I went to a strawberry festival in Burgaw once and someday I want to go to the Blueberry Festival.  If something is grown here, you can be sure there's a festival for it.  There's also none agriculture festivals:  Morehead City has a seafood festival, and a chocolate festival.  Swansboro has the Mullet festival (a fish) and Pirate Fest. There's Scotish festivals, Lumbee Indian festival, and so on.

I tried to find a single list of NC festivals and there are so many, all other the state, I couldn't find just one list.

Elaina and I have not attended the Jacksonville Christmas parade before, but since she has a 7 year old boy now, I think we'll probably go this year!

I know I've said it many times here, but I love North Carolina and the small town feel almost everywhere, even when the towns are not so small.

Thanks for reading my North Carolina journal!






3 comments:

Glenn said...

Ah, you should be paid by the NC Tourist Bureau. You "paint" such a lovely image of the state and its inhabitants. We hope to be able to visit someday.

Elaina M. Avalos said...

I love it too. :) It's wonderful and sometimes silly. But mostly, I'm still in awe as I drive past tobacco, soy bean, corn & cotton fields. To know how significant these crops (and all the seafood) are for the people who are our neighbors, is really a cool thing. With people living off the land (and sea) it makes perfect sense why there's a watermelon festival, a shrimp festival, etc. :) I love it.

Patty said...

The number of festivals is amazing! You give us a great perspective and , too, hope to come and visit sometime!!