Monday, January 25, 2016

Volunteering Opportunities

I'm so excited! Last week I filled out an application to be a USO volunteer.  I've been to an orientation at the Jacksonville Center and I am in the process of going through their training modules on-line.

I am so impressed with this organization.  It goes without saying that they have a great mission, but I am also impressed with how they handle volunteers and train them.  If other non-profits don't already follow their lead on this, they should!

The Jacksonville USO center is the oldest one in the country.  It was started in 1941.  It has a cafe and tv/computer room, an auditorium and many programs for active military personnel and their families.

The building has inside, what used to be two phone booths where military people of another generation used to make phone calls to their loved ones while visiting the center.  Instead of tearing these out, they have plans to make them into something for more contemporary use.  Maybe a photo booth?  Who knows, but great that the potential is there.

They have so many programs I wouldn't be able to describe all of them here, but trust me, the USO is deserving of your support if you value the military and their families.

I can't wait to get started, but I have to finish the training modules first.  I'll let you know when I actually get to volunteer at an event.

No comments: