Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Summertime...

Well, it's summertime and that means HUMIDITY.    Temperatures in the high 80's with rain.  We have had some thunderstorms which is the typical summer weather.    We did go to the beach last Sunday before a thunderstorm started but it rained on our way home.  It was about 91 degrees on Sunday.  (The last time we went to the beach, I got burned, so this time I was basically covered!)

The humidity causes the salt in my shakers to harden and I have to break it up before using it.  The holes in the lids clog up!  The same for sugar in my sugar canister.  I have to break it up before measuring it.  I have a container of this product in my bathroom.  I think I will need one in the kitchen as well.  (The one in my bathroom has about an inch and a half of water in it that it has already taken out of the air!)


________________________________________________________________________________

The USO has a story time for moms and their kids every Tuesday morning all year long, but in the summer, they have special themed story times where they can dress up, hear the story and are served lunch.  I worked at these events last summer and yesterday worked at the first one for this summer.

Today's theme was "Camping" and they were encouraged to come dressed as if they were on a camp-out.  One staff member created a "campfire" for the story time and they were served chili and chips, fruit cups and of course cupcakes.  The cupcakes that volunteers brought were cutely decorated; some with s'more-like ingredients on top or toppings made to look like a campfire. 


I should have taken the photo before the little kiddie chairs were put away!There was probably twenty little chairs surrounding this fire and the story teller.
  It even had red lights flickering inside. Very impressive. 
Of course the un-decorated Christmas trees had to come out to resemble the forest!


I served sweet tea, yellow and pink lemonade to moms and kids.  Some moms herding two and three kids through the line, and maybe holding a baby at the same time.  As usual it was kind of "organized chaos."
Once the guests start leaving, we pick up all the chairs, wipe down high chairs and fold up the tables.  Chocolate cupcake crumbs and all.  

Overall it's a fun event to work at, but glad they only come once a month through the summer!



3 comments:

Sue said...

Wow, there are some pretty creative people helping out. Looks like a lot of fun.

Patty said...

My family in FL always put rice in their salt shakers. The rice grains are too big to come out of the holes, but keep the moisture out of the salt. Maybe you can put some rice in a cheesecloth bag in your sugar canisters too? Just a thought! Your USO activities are very fun to hear about!

Elaina M. Avalos said...

I use rice in my salt shakers. I haven't had to worry about sugar. But definitely the rice. The set up for the USO was so cute! Very creative.