Sunday, August 21, 2016

More Miscellaneous

I haven't written in a while.  I guess nothing exciting or interesting has been happening!  The weather has been so hot and humid that it's hard to feel like doing anything outside.  It feels like you just entered a sauna when you step outside.  We had a BIG thunderstorm two nights ago, the second one in two days.

I have spent a lot of time trying to promote my Etsy business.  Most successful Etsy sellers promote their business using Pinterest, and Instagram and a host of other social media sites.  So far neither of these has brought me any business, although I have had two orders this month.  One thing I have learned is that handmade Etsy businesses sell much more than vintage shops like mine.  I've seen people, (mostly young women) making a couple of thousand dollars a month with their handmade items.  That is a dream for me.  Don't know still what I'm supposed to be doing to earn a living.  I've applied for a few jobs, but nothing has come of them.  I can sew, but I'm still a novice and can't compete with some of these Etsy sellers who have been sewing for years.  I guess time will tell!

The USO had a rummage sale yesterday and I bought a desk chair (on wheels!) to use at my sewing machine.  It will make sewing a whole lot easier.  I also bought the book, Two Years Before the Mast.  I started reading it and couldn't put it down, but I'm not sure how long it will hold my interest.  It was written in the 1840s, by Richard Henry Dana and the first copyright date is 1909.  It's his account of being a seaman when he was a young man.  Since his sea journey took him to the coast of California, I'm assuming Dana Point is named for him.  Dana went on to be a student at Harvard and later a district attorney for the state of Massachusetts. Interesting guy.

Elaina and I visited a church last night that we think we will be involved in.  It's a huge church with a Saturday service and 3 on Sunday, plus a satellite location with 2 Sunday services. Apparently there's about 3,000 in the congregation. The church building is 120 years old and looks like an old fashioned style church building.  It's a church with contemporary worship, which we love, and a young-ish pastor.  They gave me a water bottle with their church name and logo on it as a first time visitor.


After church we stopped for dinner at Chuy's, a Tex-Mex restaurant that is quite popular here in Jacksonville. Good Mexican food used to be harder to find here in Eastern North Carolina, but it has improved a bunch according to Elaina, who has lived here for years.  Being half Mexican, she should know. We also like a restaurant called Mi Cabana.  The food is different than what I'm used to in California, but it's acceptable!


On Tuesday I'm working at another USO story time.  This one has a "princess" theme.  Should be fun!













3 comments:

Elaina M. Avalos said...

You have gotten to experience the true joy of summer in the south. ;) You will love fall in a new way after this summer.

Glenn said...

Your comments about the weather remind me of my days in Georgia and Alabama. No a/c; just some fans. So-o-o glad when Fall finally arrived! Hang in there!

Patty said...

Yes, I remember the summers in Vermont - my first experience with humidity, and summer storms. The storms usually brought the humidity down for a day or so. They were welcome relief! And yes, no A/C in those days either. You can be glad for the A/C you have!! Fall is a wonderful time of year! Thanks for sharing!!