Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Rack Packs

Yesterday I worked at a Rack Pack Party.  If you don't remember what that is, or didn't read another post about it, here's some info:

https://uso-nc.org/wp-content/uploads/rack_pack.pdf

I think we made about 1000 rack packs and another maybe 500 deployment packs.  Deployment packs have the same items as rack packs with a few extra items added, like prepaid phone cards.

Yesterday was really my first hot, humid day here.  Working in the basement of the USO was a challenge for me, but the director brought us some water bottles on ice.  I gulped mine down about half way through!  We were on our feet moving as quickly as we could in the humidity for two hours.  There was probably 8-10 of us talking, laughing and working on these.  Of course they have to be counted and packed in boxes so when they get a request from a unit, they know exactly how many they are sending.  Everyone cooperates and digs in where they are needed.

I'm finding that many of the people who volunteer at things like this are either current or former military spouses, or former military men or women, so they all "speak" the same language.  My only connection to the military is my daughter, the FRO (Family Readiness Officer).  That's okay.  They won't reject me anytime I want to volunteer!

I have a total of 14.5 hours of volunteering recorded.  

(By the way, they're always looking for donations of the items that go in the rack packs.)

3 comments:

Elaina M. Avalos said...

Thanks for doing that! I'm sure this FRO will need those at some point. We usually do. ;)

Cynthia Avalos said...

Yes Ms. FRO. Gladly want to help.

Patty said...

Nice job, Cindy! So nice of you to volunteer in that heat and humidity! I'm sure they love you there, such a cheerful volunteer!!!