Sunday, March 6, 2016

Birthday Presents and Antiquing

Yesterday was my birthday and Elaina agreed to take me antiquing and out for lunch. We took off for Swansboro in the morning and stopped at a Flea Market on highway 24.  This one was mostly junk with a few decent items, just nothing I was interested in.


We went on to Swansboro where there were several antique stores that we visited.  Elaina bought a beautiful McCoy pottery piece with a succulent in it. At another shop we bought some small pieces of driftwood.  I made a sailboat from one earlier this year and want to make a couple more. 
My first driftwood sail boat

Swansboro is a seaport, founded in 1783.  There are lots of old houses and buildings with historical designation plaques on the wall by the front doors.

The downtown, or seaside front and main streets look much like these buildings in the picture.  There's gift shops and restaurants like the Ice House where we had lunch.  We were overlooking the White Oak River, which empties there into the ocean.  While we were eating, Elaina saw a dolphin in the river.



This was my view right from our table. It was a beautiful day with the sun shining on the water.


We left Swansboro and went into New Bern.  We have a couple of favorite antique stores there.  Poor Charlie's looks like it might have been a warehouse of some kind in the past and it is packed.


Andrea's Attic is a quaint little store manned by a mild-mannered southern gentleman who told us once to let him know if we're looking for something specific, because he "picks" houses and he'll look for what we want.  If you've seen the TV show "American Pickers" don't think  "Mike and Frank" from the show, think southern gentleman going to estate sales and abandoned houses.

We both bought items here. It's the kind of store where you have to look closely because it's kind of packed and you might miss something.  Lots of "smalls."

It was a very nice day and I enjoyed my birthday so much. Thankful that my daughter was willing to spend the day antiquing.

By the way, I bought myself a sewing machine for my birthday.  I used it today for the first time and made an envelope pillow case I found directions for on Pinterest.  I just have to get a pillow form from Hobby Lobby to go in it.  So easy!  I think I'm going to have fun!





7 comments:

Patty said...

Sounds like a wonderful birthday! Wayne and I were driving through the Orange Circle on Friday and thought of you!!

Sue said...

Sounds like a perfect birthday. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Have more fun sewing!

Cynthia Avalos said...

Thanks for reading Patty. Downtown Orange is a great place for antiquing!

Cynthia Avalos said...

I have lots of projects "pinned" on Pinterist to try.

Glenn said...

It sounds like a great day in a great place! Reading your recent blogs I am (1) envious of being able to drive anywhere without congestion and aggressive competition, and (2) wondering what I did with all of the fountain pens I had, oh, about forty years ago.

Elaina M. Avalos said...

It was a nice day. I'm glad you find this crazy place as pretty as I do.

Cynthia Avalos said...

I had no idea fountain pens were collectible. Thanks for reading!