Tuesday, April 5, 2016

More Thoughts on Spring

There is so much "spring" here now!  The trees that are budding out have bright green leaves.  The azalea bushes are HUGE and different shades of pink.  Some homes I pass have multiple azalea bushes that actually cover the length of the home.
Like this:
Credit for the pic: Elaina Avalos


And then there's the dogwoods in bloom.



There's another blossom that I'm seeing that I understand is considered an invader by some, but others love it, I'm sure.  That's the wisteria plant/blossoms.  It's EVERYWHERE!  If you are a gardener and take care of it, it's very nice, but it gets out of hand apparently.  It climbs way up high into the tallest trees. It's pretty to see, but I can see why some gardeners don't like it.

 


On another note, on my way to my storage unit this morning I saw a dead deer at the side of the road.  Oh my goodness.  So sad.  It was quite small, so maybe it was a young one.  Right in front of a house on Burgaw highway.  I didn't realize there might be deer that close however, I did see a "watch for deer" sign on Onslow Pines Rd later in the day. Raccoons and possums in the road are quite common.  This was my first deer.   Now that I think about it, one night when Elaina and I were out driving, she had to brake for a deer. Just don't remember where we were. (She'll remind me)

Today I drove to the cute little town of Burgaw to visit some thrift stores.  On the way I passed a hog farm, and a blueberry farm named "Newberry's Blueberries."  I think Eastern North Carolina is famous for "festivals."  There is a blueberry festival, an azalea festival, a chocolate festival, and more I'm sure.



I crossed the Cape Fear River going into Burgaw.  It's very lush and green. There's a movie called Cape Fear with Gregory Peck. May have to watch it sometime.

Still need to find some thrift stores in the area.  Will be looking in the town of Richlands next.








2 comments:

Patty said...

We had wisteria in our home in La Habra, and it did climb from our patio up into a gigantic tall tree! It was really hard to keep up with it - but it didn't seem to transplant itself anywhere. On another note - Cape Fear is a very suspenseful movie! I wouldn't want to watch it by myself on a dark night!!!!

Sue said...

Beautiful!