Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Memorial Day Weekend

Elaina had 5 days in a row off from work, so it's been nice to have her around more than just the nights and weekends.  Friday we went to New Bern and visited two of our favorite antique stores and a flea market that I hadn't been to before.  We had a nice lunch here at Morgan's Tavern and Grill:
They served fresh croissants drizzled with honey while we waited for our food. Delicious!

On Saturday Elaina did some more gardening and got our flag up on the front porch.  On Sunday, she barbecued hamburgers and corn on the cob and I made a three ingredient "ice cream."  I won't make that again.  Just not the same as REAL homemade ice cream.

On Memorial Day, we went to the Coastal Carolina State Veterans Cemetery for the service there. There was some seating under tents but many more (like us) were standing.  It was in the high 80's and very humid.  I had to stand under a tree for a little shade.  The Young Marines organization were handing out water bottles and with some help from a few veterans were bringing in a few more chairs, being offered to women who were standing (like me!) There was a prayer offered by a chaplain, the colors were presented and the national anthem was sung.  Some members of the Military Order of the Purple Heart spoke and recited a poem.  At the end we sang God Bless America.

It was all very moving. What impressed me the most I think, was the obvious veterans in the crowd who didn't just stand when the colors were presented, or the national anthem was sung, they stood at attention.  Young veterans and older veterans alike in their shorts and T-shirts and flip flops.   You know it when you see it!




So glad I got to do that.  I haven't been able to go to things like this in the past. I had other responsibilities.

I also got to meet our future congressman, Taylor Griffin.  Well, we hope he's our new congressman. Primary is June 7. If he wins that, he will probably win the general election!

.



2 comments:

Sue said...

A very patriotic weekend! So nice

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I know what you mean about the vets standing. no matter their age, they are ramrod straight, hands at their sides. It's great and thrilling to see. I especially like when each service's song is sung and if one belongs to that service, they stand. I like the Marine's the best. The ones at the Santa Ana cemetery service did the Hoorah thing after. Just great. We had one speaker, "Doc", that gave a wonderful speech about Viet Nam. He did two tours. The ceremony is supposed to be on the Santa Ana cemetery website. I want Bob to watch it. Think it will please him that someone is telling the truth about Viet Nam and the struggles coming back to the U.S. Glad you had a good time and Elaina got to be with you.