Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Miscellaneous II

1. Our mailbox is at the end of the driveway.  Our mail delivery comes in a vehicle that looks like this:
 with flashing lights on top. 
 Not like this:  



I'm guessing they are contracted by the USPS to deliver mail? Never seen this before.

We have a visitor to our mailbox almost every day.  A little salamander/lizard/newt greets us there 9 times out of 10.  Don't know if he's the same one, or if a different one visits. Not sure why he/it wants to be inside a metal mailbox when he could be down in the flowers enjoying what salamander/newts/lizards enjoy.  Like bugs.  If I tap on the metal sides of the box, he runs away, which is good for me.  I'd like to have a "no vacancy" rule for creatures like him, but hey, I live in North Carolina.

2. Jacksonville is definitely a military town.  We have USMC Camp LeJeune, and MCAS New River, where Elaina works.  Being a typical military town, there are certain businesses that seem to do well here.  Like: barber shops and bars.  One business in particular makes me giggle when I see it.  It's called "Dirty Deeds."  Yes, it's a bar.  And a laundromat!  I'm guessing their clientele are single Marines...wash a load of clothes, toss in the dryer and sit and have a beer or play pool while you wait for your clothes to dry!  Somebody was thinking when they opened that place. They should open a franchise in other military towns.  Ha ha.

3.We had a rip-roaring thunderstorm this morning.  Abby has wanted to stay very close since her "mom" is at work.  I think the storm was right over the house for at least an hour.  Biggest "booms" I've ever heard!

4. Since the rain stopped there have been creatures coming out to enjoy a little sunshine.  Here's one:
Strangest looking caterpillar I've ever seen!  There was also a BIG lizard/newt/salamander on the front deck but he ran away (thank you) when I stepped out the door.


Just a few more interesting things that I'm not used to!












4 comments:

Elaina M. Avalos said...

This town is filled with crazy newts and bars. And tat parlors.

Elaina M. Avalos said...

Also, there are very few mail trucks in eastern NC. Most are privately owned vehicles!

Sue said...

Yikes! I would not like running into a lizard, newt, salamander. That is something I would never get used to. Glad you are able to cope with it. lol

Patty said...

When we lived in our small Vermont town, the Post Office was in someone's house! I think that caterpillar is pretty cool! I wonder what kind of butterfly it will become?