Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Mug-a-Geddon

It is with great sadness and some sarcasm, that I announce the passing of a Light Family member:


This mug has been a beloved member of our family since the 1990's.  Well, loved by three sisters and three daughters at least.  Our mom actually disliked this mug and never used it.  It was given as part of a set to my parents by a real estate agent when they moved from Anaheim to Lake Elsinore in 1996 or 1997 I believe.

If we were all at the house at the same time, there would be some competition as to who could grab the mug first for a cup of coffee.  (Well, since I'm not a coffee drinker, I used it for whatever).  If it was dirty in the dishwasher, most likely one of these people would wash it and use it.

When mom passed away and the contents of the cupboards were emptied, the mug ended up with my daughter, Elaina as the caretaker.  It's been here in North Carolina being used for a while now.

                                           UNTIL THIS:


This morning, I filled it with milk and was reaching to put it in the microwave and in MID-AIR the handle broke, just as you see it here.  The mug dropped from the handle and hit the cookie sheet with a bang.  Me standing there with just the broken piece in my hand. The pots and the cookie sheet on the stove were clean until mug-a-geddon.  The pots, the stove top, and the burner plates are covered in milk.  I was so glad that it broke going into the microwave and not coming out of the microwave!  It was bad enough that the mug broke and milk was everywhere, but if it had been hot milk???  Oh man.  It was traumatic enough as it was.

The current caretaker has given orders that the mug not be thrown away even though it is defective. I think the handle can be completely removed and the mug used to hold a plant or spoons or used as a sugar bowl or something.  I'm sure the caretaker will find a use for it.

Okay, well I have to go clean up the mess now.










3 comments:

Sue said...

Oh my gosh! NO!!! You will be forever blamed for the mugs demise. So sorry for our loss but I know the Caretaker will choose the right job so that it can live on and be a useful part of life again.

Anonymous said...

Gorilla glue works wonders. Cool looking mug.

Elaina M. Avalos said...

I haven't gotten over this. I'm crying on the inside. LOL.