Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Rack Pack Party

Today I had the opportunity to volunteer at the USO North Carolina Jacksonville Center.  They had a need for "Rack Packs."  Rack Packs are made up of necessities that might be needed in the first 48 hours, by a service member that is just returning from deployment.

The USO calls events like today "Rack Pack Parties."  We went down to the basement where tables were laid out with the contents of the packs.  Today, there were packs already made up, but they were missing three items: wash cloths, deck of cards and a snack bar.

I worked with about 5-6 experienced  women volunteers adding these last items to the packs.  The coordinator had a request for 500 packs but we ran out of wash cloths, so I don't know if we got enough done today.

Here's a link to what a rack pack contains:

https://uso-nc.org/wp-content/uploads/rack_pack.pdf

If you know anyone that can donate items on the list, let them know!

I found out today that I will get a name tag and a USO shirt after completing 26 hours of volunteering.  Oh my.  I only have 3 hours in so far.  It's going to be a while before I qualify.

Anyway, it was fun, and I hope to have more opportunities soon.